Glovo launches Impact Fund, a first-of-its-kind initiative to address socio-environmental challenges
- Impact Fund is expected to generate €5 million by the end of 2023
- Glovo dedicates a small amount from each order to the new fund
- Focus of the initiative is to support local communities, climate action initiatives, help in the digitalization of small local businesses, close the gender gap in tech and upskilling programmes for couriers
London, 2nd March 2023 – Glovo, one of the world’s leading multi-category apps, has today announced the launch of Impact Fund, a first-of-its-kind in the rapidly growing delivery industry where a small amount of Glovo’s earnings from every order will be dedicated to boosting Impact & Sustainability projects.
By the end of 2023, the Impact Fund will have dedicated up to €5 million for projects related to supporting local communities, climate action initiatives, the digitalization of small local businesses, closing the gender gap in tech and upskilling programmes for couriers. This includes funds that have been allocated to these projects since mid-2021.
Sébastien Pellion, Head of Impact and Sustainability at Glovo said: “It’s critical that businesses step up to empower those in need and protect the planet. Unique to the industry, the Impact Fund will provide vital financing to address socio-environmental challenges such as supporting local communities, the digitalisation of small & medium-sized businesses, climate action initiatives, reduction of the gender gap in tech and upskilling for couriers globally. Glovo customers will support initiatives that create positive change for communities and the environment with every order.”
In 2023, the Impact Fund will target the following pillars:
- Reducing hunger: Covering the delivery costs for NGOs to access Glovo’s last-mile logistics for free and distributing items to vulnerable families. More than 2.3 million meals have been delivered and more than 1,100 tons of food saved through Glovo Access to date since March 2020.
- Climate action: Glovo is taking further steps to significantly reduce its carbon footprint by 2030. The Impact Fund will accelerate the reduction of CO2 emissions across our entire value chain, by providing the resources to further electrify our fleet, and provide sustainable packaging versus non-recyclable options via the Glovo Store to partners in nine countries. In 2022, 8,800 tonnes of CO2 emissions were reduced across our value chain.
- Digitising small local businesses: Providing small and medium-sized restaurants and retailers with the right tools and training to help them digitise and grow their business online through our Glovo Local program. More than 100,000 of our stores are small local businesses and we intend to grow that number to 150,000 in 2023.
- Women in tech: We are financing boot camps for young women eager to start a tech career. In 2022, 230 women were trained in Spain in data analytics and web development in a 6-month program scholarship by KeepCoding. This year a new programme will be launched for 250 girls in Poland to join coding classes, and another 65 young women will join Tech Bootcamps in Ghana, Spain and Poland.
- Education programmes for couriers: Providing an online and in-person learning programme for couriers, to help them in their professional development and gain the skills they need to get access to more qualified jobs. To date, approximately 6,900 couriers are actively participating in training programmes with a focus on entrepreneurship, financial education, coding, and more.
- Aid to Ukraine: In 2023, the Impact Fund will be investing €195,000 to help the people of Ukraine and to support local NGOs helping communities impacted by the war. Since the beginning of the conflict, we’ve delivered more than 114,000 social meals and 54,000kg of saved food via Glovo Access and enabled 1,300 charity meals to be donated from Glovo Cook Rooms.
Glovo is a pioneering multi-category app connecting users with businesses, and couriers, offering on-demand services from local restaurants, grocers and supermarkets, pharmacies and high street retail stores. Glovo’s vision is to give everyone easy access to everything within their city, so that our users can enjoy what they want, when they want, where they want. Founded in 2015 in Barcelona, it operates across 25 countries in Southern Europe and EEMEA.
For more information about Glovo, please visit: https://about.glovoapp.com/en/